2007-12-13

German philosophy in Japan...

Hey, hey, hey, fans! ('Fans')
So, it's been a while and I would explain myself if I felt there were some need. But, heck, does anyone care? I made my last post and since then I've been 'focusing' on getting this term over with and having time to get my s&%$ together over winter holidays. After that, it's all downhill -- I hope.

Anyway, I got to thinking today (actually, that's incorrect - I never stop thinking and have an echte love/hate relationship with thought itself)... my mind wandered off in the direction of German philosophy. For those of you in the know, you might be guessing now: Nietszche (always a good choice), Schopenhauer (could work for me right now), Hegel (what is 'self-consciousness' anyway... good question for me in my current position on the time-space continuum)??? Actually, my mind didn't wander so far back in modern history.

No, I'm talking about a band, actually. Die Toten Hosen (more here). Great philosophical rants in a musical form I can appreciate: punk rock. Listening to great joints like "Steh auf, wenn du am Boden bist" (roughly translated as 'Get off your ass when you're down'), "Du lebst nur einmal" ('You only live once'), and "Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Loesung" (again, roughly 'Sober also won't work').

So, I thought I'd share some of those inspirational lyrics with anyone out there who could possibly find it of interest. You can click on the song titles above to see the German originals. I'll give you a small taste in English here:

From "Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Loesung":

'Manchmal steh ich morgens vorm Spiegel
und seh einen wildfremden Mann
und zwei Augen, die mich dann fragen:
Wann fängt das Leben endlich an?'

('Some mornings I stand before the mirror
and see a crazy man and two eyes asking me:
When does life finally begin?')

'Ganz ohne Drogen geht es nicht,
es wird auch immer so sein.
Und Jesus sah das genauso,
denn aus Wasser machte er Wein.
Von Vatikan bis Taliban
sieht man, dass es stimmt,
dass die ganzen Abstinenzler
noch immer die Schlimmsten sind!'

*These lines are for those who understand German!

From "Steh auf, wenn du am Boden bist":

'Und wenn ein Sturm dich in die Knie zwingt,
halt dein Gesicht einfach gegen den Wind.
Egal, wie dunkel die Wolken über dir sind,
sie werden irgendwann vorüberziehn.'

('And if a storm forces you to your knees,
simply hold your face against the wind.
No matter how dark the clouds overhead,
they will eventually pass.')

'Es ist schwer, seinen Weg nicht zu verliern,
und bei den Regeln und Gesetzen hier
ohne Verrat ein Leben zu führn,
das man selber noch respektiert

Auch wenn die Zeichen gerade alle gegen dich stehn
und niemand auf dich wetten will,
du brauchst hier keinem irgendeinen Beweis zu bringen,
es sei denn es ist für dich selbst!'

('It's hard to follow all the rules and laws here
and still live a life that you yourself can respect.
Even when all the stars are aligned against you
and nobody'll bet on you,
you don't have to prove anything to anyone
but yourself.')

From "Du lebst nur einmal":

'Unterwegs auf der Straße, die dich nach morgen führt.
Im Rückspiegel siehst du all die Jahre hinter dir.
Keine Zeit, groß zu bereuen; niemand gibt dir was zurück.
Dreh dich nicht zu lange um - es ist dafür zu spät.'

('On the road that leads to tomorrow,
in the rearview you see all the years behind you.
No time for any great regrets;
noone can give any of it back.
Don't look back for too long - it's too late for that.')

NOW... if you're curious or you already know them and are thinking 'Oh yeah, DTH! They rock!', well here are a couple vids from YouTube. Don't understand? Good reason to learn German, I'd say!







More DTH video links:
*Very cool video montage from the great Japanese anime series, Neon Genesis Evangelion, with "Steh auf" playing!
Nur zu Besuch
Frauen dieser Welt
10 Kleine Jaegermeister
Ich bin die Sehnsucht in dir

Aus.
----------------
Played while I posted: Die Toten Hosen - Erotim Super-3-feucht
via FoxyTunes

No comments: